At Clarin Eye Care and Coral Gables Eye Care, we offer orthokeratology, also known as ortho-K, for people who wish to go without contact lenses or eyeglasses during the day, or who desire a non-surgical alternative to LASIK.
Orthokeratology is the process of fitting specially designed, FDA-approved gas-permeable contact lenses to the eyes to gently assist in reshaping the cornea.
People undergoing orthokeratology wear the custom contact lenses at night while they sleep, and upon waking, enjoy clear vision throughout the day without the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses. While sleeping, the front surface of the eyes is gradually reshaped by the special contact lenses. This reshaping process can improve both nearsightedness and farsightedness as well as astigmatism. Orthokeratology can eliminate a patient’s need for eyeglasses or daytime use of contact lenses entirely in some cases.
Who is a Good Candidate for Orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology is suitable for people with mild to moderate refractive errors.
- If you are an athlete or very physically active and don’t want to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses during the day, orthokeratology could be a great solution for you.
- If you don’t want to undergo laser vision correction surgery, such as LASIK, you may also be a good candidate for orthokeratology.
- If you have developed presbyopia, which is an age-related hardening of the front surface of the eyes making it harder to see things up close, you may be a good candidate for orthokeratology.
- Orthokeratology is also used to delay the progression of myopia (nearsightedness) in children ages 8–12 years old.
It is important to seek orthokeratology from a reputable practitioner, like the doctors at Coral Gables Eye Care or Clarin Eye Care, to ensure a safe fitting is performed with high-quality lenses. Our doctors carefully evaluate and fit patients for orthokeratology lenses, considering their individual eye health concerns.
What Are the Benefits of Orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology has numerous benefits.
- Orthokeratology corrects vision for near and far tasks, such as watching TV or reading a book, without the need for daytime use of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- When applied to children, orthokeratology may help slow down the child’s progression of myopia, which can lead to a reduced risk of eye disease later in life.
- Orthokeratology is an ideal treatment for athletes, who appreciate freedom from the daytime use of eyeglasses or contact lenses while they train and engage in their sport.
Learn More About Orthokeratology
To learn more about orthokeratology, book an appointment with the doctors at Clarin Eye Care or Coral Gables Eye Care for a comprehensive eye exam. Ask about orthokeratology and our doctors can help you determine if it is a good choice for you.